Monday, September 12, 2011

Simple, but not really

What does following Jesus look like to you?  It is simple really... whatever, whenever, wherever.  Well let me clarify that, it is simple to state, but really tough to live out.  What He asks for is all of us... whatever, whenever, wherever.

For me it often looks more like this.  I am willing to do certain things, but please don't ask me to get out of my comfort zone or do something that may be awkward or may cost me something.  Whatever really means what I feel like doing at the time.  And while we are at, I don't really want it to inconvenience me.  I mean I will sacrifice a couple of hours on Sunday morning so can't we squeeze it in then?  Maybe we justify that family time is more important than anything else Jesus may want us to do.  I mean His primary concern is that I have a happy family right?  I mean I know it is suppose to be about His glory, but really he understands that I am busy and can only give Him a little of my precious time.  And wherever definitely means right where I am at.  He wouldn't require me to go outside my comrfortable circle, would He?

Are we following or justifying how we already live? Removing myself is the toughest thing and that is what He asks.  He asks us to pick up our cross and follow Him.  A cross is about dying.  It is inconvenient.  It will require us to give up holding other things so that we can carry our cross.  It means whatever you are placing before Jesus must go.  Wherever He asks us to go, whether that is across the country or the world or across the street to your neighbor or to your family, we will go.  And it means now.  Not someday in the future.  Not after you are out of high school or college, not after you have a job or started your family, not after your kids are older or out of the house, not when you get married...now, this moment, daily.

Let's be honest, it isn't an easy call.  What do you need to do today to follow Jesus?  Not some general, good sounding generic statement, but specifically what does whatever, whenever and wherever look like in your life?  Tell someone.  Now follow Him.

No comments: