Monday, September 19, 2011

I ought to...

Finish this statement, I ought to________.  Now fill in this blank, today I will ________.  Which is easier to answer?  For me I like the "ought to" statement.  It is in the future.  It is a nice idea.  It is something that might happen.  It doesn't require anything of me now.  I don't think I am the only who has this tendency.

Someday we will get around to doing it.  We will make those changes we need to address when it is more convenient.  We will have those conversations that need to happen later this week.  We will start exercising/ eating better/having a devotion/________ tomorrow.  We like the idea, we just don't want to actually do it.  So we put it off and pretend it doesn't exist.  We hope that it will magically change without any work on our part.

Inconvenient, awkward, costly, sacrifice... that is what doing something now requires and that is why we avoid it.  But should we?  I have a love/hate relationship with the following quote - "Delayed obedience is disobedience."  I love the thought behind it, but sometimes I hate living it out.  When I know I am suppose to do something and don't... that is disobedience.  We can make it sound better by saying we will do it in the future, but the reality is that now is when we are suppose to do it.  We convince ourselves that we are too busy to fit it in today, but if we had the chance to go do that one thing we have really been wanting to do, I bet we could find the time.  So what are you putting off that needs to be done today?  Will you do it or will it be something you ought to do someday?

No comments: