Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Creativity

Over the last couple of years I've come to realize how much creativity appeals to me. Photography, music, paintings, books... the artistic just draws me in. Why? I wouldn't consider myself especially a creative type. I mean, my job is an accountant. Not exactly know as a creative bunch in general. Facts and figures are what should appeal to my logical side, but it doesn't. It is the story told. I am held captive by the story. A painting has a story it is telling. A book lays out the story and reveals the characters. Who they are and who they are becoming. A photo can capture a moment in the story. It can say such much more than just the facts. Nature shows creativity. I can sit on the beach and be amazed at the vastness and how huge it is. I am stunned by an incredible sunset. I can't stop that moment of being awed when I first see the mountains.

The beauty in the story is where it is at for me. What I am realizing is that is what draws me into friendships as well. I never thought of my relationships as part of my creative side, but it is. It is where I see the painting that my friends are creating with their lives. I get to see the story lived out in front of me. It isn't cold hard facts, but a story being told where we have a role. Not the main role, but a part to play. Our stories overlap and create color and texture in each others lives. My life is a subplot in their story. It moves the character forward. It helps to shape who they are becoming as well as who I am.

I know some prefer the academic - the facts and theories to be proved, the science, the logical side. I understand they are useful, but it is the story that draws me in. Movies are appealing because they draw you into the story. Your life is a story as well. Who are you drawing into your story? What is your story revealing? The great thing is that like a lot of art, your story is fluid. If you don't like what your story has to say so far, you can change it. Facts can't be changed, but the story is still being written. Facts are what has happened. The story is what can happen. What are you going to write, draw or paint in your story today? Who will it bring to tears as they see the beauty in what you are creating? Where does your story overlap with someone elses? Don't stop being creative.

No comments: