Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What would you choose?

If you could pick one characteristic to describe you, what would you want it to be? (Note that I said what would you want it to be, not is it the one that describes you.) I think I would choose humility. Not the false humility of "Aww, it wasn't anything" while on the inside thinking "yeah, I am pretty amazing". (Come on, you know people like that. And you can spot it a mile away.) Humility can't be faked. It is a way of life. A willingness to do whatever it takes to serve someone else. There isn't anything below your level. Need chairs set up. Awesome, I would love to help you do that. That kind of attitude about life. Knowing we haven't really done anything to deserve where we are at in life. A humbleness in your attitude. Some people think of humility as being weak. I guess I see it as choosing to serve because you love them more than yourself.

Do you know someone who shows the characteristic you picked? Take a minute today to thank them for their example. We need to recognize and celebrate people who show good character. It is easy to talk about things like humility, but it is a lot tougher to live it out daily. They don't need to be recognized, but I think we need to recognize them. (Does that make sense?) So what are you going to do today to develop the characteristic you chose from the original question above? It starts today, not some day down the road.

No comments: