Monday, October 11, 2010

Powerful words

Words can be powerful. Twice this weekend I received some unexpected words of encouragement.

On Sunday, an older gentleman at our church stopped Lisa and I as we were leaving. He pulled us into a partial hug and told us that he had been watching us. He had watched us grow up in front of him and that he loved watching us because we were the cutest couple. Powerful words coming from a man I watched with his wife and thought that is how I want to grow old together with Lisa. You know that cute older couple that still holds hands and truly enjoys each others company. A couple that has demonstrated a consistent faith and poured their lives into multiple people over the years. I've watched as he struggles to adjust to life since his wife has died, but here he is still pouring into people. Powerful words.

On Friday, I received a thank you message on Facebook. It was unexpected because it was a thank you for something that happened a year ago. Last year I had the opportunity to go to Catalyst with Lane and a couple of his cousins. I hadn't ever met his cousins before that week, but those couple of days had a significant impact on my life. I got to listen and spend time with three guys who are chasing after Jesus in incredible ways. They have invested their lives in impacting students lives, loving their wives, and being awesome examples of what men are supposed to be. I wasn't able to go to Catalyst this year (major bummer), but Levi was there this year and took a moment to say it reminded him of hanging out last year. Words of encouragement received at just the right time. Powerful words.

So what are you doing with your words? Are they making a difference in other people's lives? Never know when that five minutes you take to encourage someone may make the difference they need that day. Words are powerful. You can choose to tear others down, gossip, lie, build yourself up or maybe make an impact on someone else. What will your words do today?

No comments: