Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The nomadic life

Ever feel like a nomad? What I mean is that feeling you can have of not really belonging somewhere or that you may be just be passing through. That's how I feel recently. Which is a little strange since I have lived in Tulsa for almost 21 years now. I know... that's not exactly the normal nomadic life experience.

I've experienced this at least one other time in my life. It was over ten years ago when we looked into moving to Las Vegas. (My wife is starting to cringe at this point, wondering what new idea I have been thinking about. Change for me = exciting, change for her = stressful.) At that time our closest friends had just moved from Tulsa. We had done life with them for several years including starting our families and doing ministry together. I was thinking about changing professions at that point to pursue some things I am passionate about. It was one of those times in life where we didn't really have any strong connections holding us here. Long story made short, we didn't move then. There was another plan for us here at that time. Things for us to experience and a place for us to serve.

I have some of those same feelings now. The connections over the last couple of years have changed. I am in a space in my life where I am in transition. I wonder what I am being prepared for in life? Maybe it is a move to somewhere else. Maybe it is a change in my community and who I get the chance to invest in. Maybe it is my plate being cleared for new opportunities to serve. Maybe it is God just asking if I am willing to go where He is leading. I don't really know right now, but I am learning to lean into God more. Seeking out what He is planning. I feel like a nomad waiting to see where I am heading next.

The funny thing is that I think that is how we are supposed to live anyway. Holding loosely to what is around us so that we can be ready to serve wherever. I long for deeply established friendships, a place to serve wholeheartedly, and knowing what the plan is, but God seems to be saying "trust me". I wonder where this is leading? A little exciting and a little nervous. What is the next step in this adventure called life?

No comments: