Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Joy in unexpected places

As I continue this process of finding joy in the middle of the messiness of life, the next step in that process hasn't always been what I expected. (Not that I really knew what to expect.) Last week at AZero Lane quoted Charles Spurgeon who said, "Delayed obedience is disobedience." How does that fit into joy? Not sure that I have it all figured out yet, but here is what I do know right now. God often prompts us through the Holy Spirit. That person that springs into your mind that you feel you should call or e-mail or pray for. That feeling that you are suppose to do something for a particular person and you don't really know why. That prompting to have a conversation that you really don't want to have. To serve when you don't really want to. What do we often do with those prompts? I can't speak for you, but they have often got lost in the busyness of life for me. It isn't that I don't necessarily want to do it, but more like, not right now because I am busy. I have thought that I will get to it later when I have some more time. The reality is that I usually don't find that extra time and then I just simply forget about doing whatever it was that I felt prompted to do. So we come to now. What I decided was that I wasn't really being obedient to God. I was fitting him in when it was convenient. This last week I decided that whenever I felt that nudge that I was going to do whatever it was that day. It has lead me to some spots that I didn't expect. It has lead me to have conversations that felt awkward starting. It has lead me to serve in some ways that I hadn't planned on. But the reality is that I haven't missed the time I have spent on doing these things. Matter of fact, I have been more content and found joy in doing those things. Oh, they aren't always fun but I feel that I am really pursuing what Jesus was talking about. Having Him the first priority and trusting where he is leading even when I don't have a clue where it is going to take me. It has been refreshing. So are you ready to jump in? Challenge for the next week. When you feel that prompting to have that conversation, to help someone out, to make that difficult call, whatever it is, do it that day. It may be a little awkward, but it is better than being disobedient to God.

Bonus quote from Andy Stanley. "Unexpressed gratitude communicates ingratitude." Who are you assuming knows you are grateful when you should be telling it to them instead? Someone who has impacted your life, someone who has helped you out recently, someone who encouraged you recently and you are thankful for those words or actions... let them know you are grateful, don't just assume they know. See if you assume something that just makes... well you get the point. Have an incredible day of obeying and being grateful! I am guessing that you will find joy in the day if you do.

2 comments:

kellimoss said...

I've been working through this a little bit myself. In teaching canon the character traits of attentiveness and prompt obedience, i myself have asked the holy spirit to make me aware to his promptings in these areas. it can be as little as picking up a piece of trash that isn't mine in the parking lot so someone else doesn't have to or speaking something tough/encouraging/loving to someone. i seriously find myself having discussions in my head with the holy spirit trying to reason why i shouldn't do whatever it is he is asking instead of simply obeying. anyways, this may not have anything to do with what you were getting at, but it reminded me of this!! Thanks for making me think :)

Kenneth said...

That's exactly what I am talking about. Obeying (even if it takes a little arguing with the Holy Spirit) His promptings. What I am finding out is there is joy in doing that even when it costs me something. Thanks for your comments and more importantly thanks for doing life with us.