Thursday, December 2, 2010

A contradiction?

Listening to the radio this morning I heard the song "Misery" by Maroon 5. If you don't know the song it is a peppy, upbeat song that sounds like it would be about something fun, but in reality it is talking about being in misery. Seems there is a little contradiction between the words and the music. The song reminds me of a lot of Sunday mornings at church, only there the words don't match the reality of life. Those who know me very well, know that I can't stand the question "How are you doing?" It is one of those questions that people will usually answer with a "Good" or "Fine" and not even really think about it. It is a throw away question for most people, like talking about the weather. The reason the song reminds me of Sunday mornings is because there seems to be this idea that when you step in the church building that you are suppose to be perfect. Life is great for the 1 or 2 hours that you are there. You don't have any problems, but is that reality? I've seen and heard people say how good they are doing when I know they are struggling. Marriages are in trouble, people are barely making it financially, they are struggling with depression, life is throwing all sorts of problems in their path, but they are "good". I know we can have joy in all circumstances, but isn't this the place where we are suppose to lean into other people and God? We don't want to burden others with our problems. We can handle it on our own. Show no weakness. Have it all together. Compare our problems with others and say they aren't that bad. Can't we come clean and sometimes say we love Jesus, but we are having a crappy day? Somehow we seem to think as Christians things aren't suppose to be difficult. Life is suppose to be perfect because we are chasing after Jesus. I don't think that was the promise. I think what Jesus said is that he would be there for us in the midst of it all. So as someone trying to follow the way He laid out for us, shouldn't we be there in the middle of it all for each other? Hard to do when we continue to hide behind the mask of having it all together. So do the risky thing and be transparent. Oh, some people may not know what to do with that, but continue to search for the community that will do life with you. Life has some wonderful times and other times when it is painful and difficult. Are you willing to share both of those? It is easy to share the good, but those who are willing to share their tough times with me are those I am the closest to. Let's quit hiding behind the catchy tune and really hear the words. Let's make Sunday morning more like the conversations we have when we are hanging out at the coffee house or bar. Let's lean into each other whether it is Saturday night, Sunday morning or Tuesday afternoon. Can we drop the pose of having it all together?

1 comment:

kellimoss said...

K...I'm way guilty of overusing "the phrase". It's a result of working a counter for 5 years then going into a profession where the first thing I asked was how they were doing/feeling? But I think it's become a comfort question...no akward lingering silence, that kind of thing. Anyways, I'm going to try to be conscious of what I'm saying!