Thursday, October 28, 2010

The collison of grace

When was the last time you received grace? Grace isn't something we deserve, it is by definition receiving something we don't deserve and there is the problem for me. See I don't recognize it because I think I deserve it. I am entitled to it. Someone else owes me something because of what I've done in the past. But that isn't grace. See if I feel I've earned it somehow then I miss it. Oh it is still grace, but not in my eyes. I am ungrateful for receiving it because somehow I've screwed it up in mind that I am owed something.

That grace is played out often in my life, probably daily, but I miss it. I don't deserve an incredible wife, I don't deserve to be forgiven by friends that I take for granted, I don't deserve that I am relatively healthy, I don't do anything to earn even my next breathe... it is by grace that I receive any of it. I am beginning to understand that to see this amazing grace that is surrounding me, I have to change my perspective. I have to recognize that I am not entitled to anything. I have to be thankful for those things around me. I don't earn it. I don't deserve it. I can't be good enough to receive it. It is amazingly free. I just have to recognize it and accept it. No strings attached. No rules to follow. No earning it through doing certain things. When was the last time you experienced grace?

No comments: