Thursday, January 7, 2010

Do we really want others involved?

I was talking with several guys last night about things going on in our lives. Each of them in some form or another said they needed the support and accountability (I've come to not really like this word because it is one of those words that people throw around but never really define what it means to them) and felt like they had been alone in the things going on. It was like a light bulb came on for me (maybe because I heard it in multiple ways in a short time), even though we are surrounded by people who can be a part of our lives we choose to do it by ourselves. We say we want it, but when we are in the tough situation/trying to make a decision/whatever, we choose to go it alone. We don't want to bother someone. They won't understand the problem. It is my life. Plain and simple excuses to keep ourselves from having others really be involved in our lives. Really what we mean is they may tell me something I don't want to hear. They may challenge my weak excuses. I may not get to do what I want to do. So we go through life alone surrounded by lots of people. It is messy to open up to others. It is messy to try to serve others. So we continue to choose the easy and get the same results each time and wonder why. Wonder when we will stop playing around and really jump into the messiness of life with each other? Do we really want that support or do we want people who will agree with us? Those usually aren't the same thing. So what are you going to choose?

No comments: