Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Starting with the end in mind

It is getting close to Christmas (late spoiler alert if you weren't already aware of that fact). Christmas seems to eventually (after surviving black Friday, fighting the annoying holiday traffic, stressing over what gifts to buy, the non-stop Christmas parties, etc.) bring people to think about a little baby in a manger. Most people are aware of the story, but what we seem to forget is that it all started with the end in mind. We focus on the cute little baby, but forget it was for Him to be a sacrifice, a beaten and bloody Savior, that He came.

I've had the chance to hold a couple of adorable little babies recently. They are incredibly precious and it is amazing to consider the way they have already grown. It blows my mind to think of all of the intrinsic things that happen as a baby grows even before the delivery. Amazing stuff!

No matter how incredibly cute we were as babies though that isn't what people remember about us. See it is about how we finish. It is the daily choices we make as we grow. I wonder if we kept asking the question - how will that effect the ending? - if we would live our lives differently. We want to pretend that the choice we make today doesn't effect anything, but reality is that each choice moves us in a direction. Each of those steps is moving us toward our end. What do you want your ending to look like? How do you want to be remembered? Will each choice you make today move you in that direction? Are you starting with the end in mind? If not, then it will be pretty difficult to arrive there.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I appreciate being able to come back to this blog time and time again and being challenged with the personal nature of the focus. Though you could literally be talking to thousands/millions I always feel like you're talking to me. Some of your questions are rhetorical I know. But some days it helps me to think out loud.


I am in the most difficult phase of my spiritual growth right now. There is a very specific thing that I have this ongoing life weakness, and the only way to beat it is through persistance. I think of that parable where Jesus says that the person who keeps knocking on the door in the middle of the night, even to the point of annoying their neighbor, and forcing them out of bed, is the one who wins.

I want to break through. I want to take my next step. And I am convinced daily that God has not given up on me. And so, I'm trying to keep knocking.

That's where I am today. Thanks for this place to share.