Sunday, June 5, 2011

The rhythm of rest

How do you rest? Do you ever think about it? We seem to be concerned with the next thing on our list, but rarely do we make time for resting. (Maybe we need to put it on our lists.) For me in the past, it has been about going full speed until I collapse. Trying to get everything done on the list. The thing is the list is never complete. There is always one more thing (or person) demanding my attention. Screaming it's importance and needing to be done now. So off we run to the next thing without ever slowing down to rest.

For me resting includes being with friends. Having time to talk or play and have fun. It might come in a variety of ways and look different depending on who I am with, but it means moving away from doing and simply enjoying just being. It doesn't mean once I get everything else completed; it means in the midst of the craziness of life. An hour or two to hang out with a friend over coffee (which I still don't drink even though I have spent enormous amounts of time at coffee shops) or playing Frisbee golf on a Saturday morning or getting beat at tennis once again. It is spending time talking with my wife once the boys have gone to bed. It is playing cards with friends and enjoying good conversation and laughter. It may be serving someone or finding time to just listen. Rest is vital, but something we don't do very well.

So when will you intentionally rest this week? When will you commit to slowing down enough to enjoy what is around you? There is meant to be a rhythm to our lives and part of that is resting. Also I have learned that when I rest well, then the other things on the list are lot easier to accomplish. I remember my brother-in-law stating it this way, we should work out of our rest instead of resting from our work. What is your ideal way to rest? Now go put it on your list and make the time for doing it.

No comments: