Monday, June 13, 2011

The pursuit of happiness

"I have often wished that Jefferson had not used that phrase 'the pursuit of happiness' as the third right... I would rather he had written, 'life, liberty and the pursuit of meaningfulness' or 'integrity' or 'truth." I know that happiness has been the real, if covert, goal of your labors here. I know that it informs your choice of companions, the profession you will enter. But I urge you, please do not settle for happiness. It's not good enough. Personal success devoid of meaningfulness, free of steady commitment to social justice - that's more than a barren life; it's a trivial one. It's looking good instead of doing good." - Toni Morrison speaking to the 2011 graduating class at the State university of New Jersey.

Don't know if the students were paying attention (come on, how many people actually listen to the graduation speeches?), but man, those are some profound and powerful words. How often do we settle for happiness? We look for what makes us happy, when we should be looking for so much more. Are you content being happy? Are you content with a life that may look good on the outside, but doesn't have much substance? Why do we chase the trivial when there are so many important things we could be chasing?

I've settled for happy more often than I care to admit. As long as things are good for me then I don't need to pursue much else. What would it look like if we pursued a life of meaning, or integrity or truth instead of our own selfishness? Pursuit isn't just some casual walk. It is a life focused on a goal. It is intentional, not just when we get around to it. Would my life be about more than just looking good if integrity and righteousness were my focus from the time I woke up in the morning until I finally went to sleep at night?

What are you pursuing? Does it have meaning or is it just another trivial pursuit? What are you letting shape your choices - happiness or something more?

No comments: