Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A little bit random

"Today I don't feel like doing anything" - The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars

"La, la, la, whatever, la, la, la, it doesn't matter, la, la, la, oh well, la, la, la" - Tonight, Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae

Those are two of my favorite songs right now. Probably a coincidence that they also describe my mood pretty well. It has been one of those crazy weeks (or six months) where there seems to be an endless supply of demands for my time. As I told one of my friends, it seems like I have pressure coming from 9 different directions in any given day. Hard to be motivated when you know the next day is going to be just a busy as the current one and there is no end in sight. So the idea of a day of not doing anything sounds pretty good. Imagine a day of just fun. Sleeping in, maybe reading some of that book you can never seem to get to, or watching the entire season of "Studio 60", having a two hour lunch date with your wife, catching a movie in the afternoon, or taking a nap (not high on my list, but my wife would appreciate that), hanging out with friends, playing outside, going for a bike ride... not having anything you had to do but just a day to do whatever. What would you do with a day like that?

Not sure why it is called the rat race, but I guess that would make me a rat these days. We weren't meant to run full speed all of the time. Rest is essential. We may have different ways of resting, but God created us to enjoy life. We just need to stop and enjoy it. What do you find enjoyment in doing? Give yourself a break today and enjoy it. Take an hour, half a day, or the whole day and rest. Go ahead, tell your boss I said it was okay. Make time in your schedule to rest. Don't worry, the rat race will still be there when you get back. You won't miss anything, but you might actually be energized in a way you haven't been in quite awhile. La, la, la, whatever, la, la, la, it doesn't matter, la, la, la, oh well, la, la, la...

1 comment:

kellimoss said...

You described my ideal day to the tee! Quality time being my primary love language, i am often heard saying from my soapbox that the way we spend our days/lives is not how god intended. Looking forward to the next season of rest for my family!!