Monday, April 18, 2011

How are you going to celebrate April 18th?

Why not April 18th? Isn't it as good as January 1st? Today starts day one. A fresh start. The past is just that... the past. It may shape who I am currently, but it doesn't define who I am becoming. We are like a painting that is never quite done. We can add bold colors with wide brush strokes or add small dots that are hardly noticeable, but we keep adding to the picture. Each decision I make today adds a little more color, a little more texture, a little more depth.

I gave myself permission to start anew. See I can be my own biggest critic, stumbling block, and the one who holds me back. I like to think that others actions take away some of my choices, and some might, but I still get to choose how I respond... what I learn from it... what perspective I have of the situation... what attitude to have. Today is the chance to start with a clean slate.

What would you do differently if you could? Start today. You may still have consequences from your past choices to deal with, but you control your next step. Will you choose a new direction? We can always adjust to a better path. The next decision you make can determine where you are heading now. A wise decision now can correct the path. It doesn't make everything magically better, but it is one step towards it. One step and possibly a new attitude and perspective.

What will today hold for you? What are you willing to change instead of saying you can't? We can change. I have and will continue to change. Who I am today looks significantly different than who I was 10 years ago. The small choices are the ones that will define the big ones to come.

It is April 18th... time to start your new resolutions with the choices you make today. Change can be exciting. You don't have to wait another 9 months to make the decision to start new. What will look different for you tomorrow?

No comments: