Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not a thing I would change

Change isn't bad. Matter of fact, I am one of those strange people who actually likes change. Not change just for change sake, but when it makes a difference. But I've decided there might be a change that isn't so good... the change we try to make in others so that they will be more like us. When we try to mold or change others to fit what we think they should be we lose part of who they were created to be. We mess with God's creativity and think we can improve on it. Changing someone to fit our ideal rarely works. Not only that, but sometimes what we think we want, isn't really what we need.

I've realized I have been trying to change the wrong things. Recently I've struggled with how I've perceived a friendship. I felt wronged and that they weren't trying. Looking at it again, I realized that maybe they aren't what needs to change, but maybe my attitude and perception may be what needs to be changed. See I've looked at what I am getting out of it, but really the focus should be what I can put into the friendship. The fact is that is what we often do with our relationship with God and how we perceive the church. We feel that the worship isn't meeting our needs or that people just don't care enough about us so we make a change and leave for somewhere else. The problem is that usually doesn't change anything about the situation, but only the location. If my focus becomes about serving someone else, and not trying to change them, then I can enjoy that relationship to the fullest. When it becomes about me, then no change is really going to ever fulfill what I want. When I get what I think I wanted, then it changes to something else that will meet that need. When I am focused on others, then I get to experience the joy of serving them and can quit trying to change the world.

I heard the song "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars today. Ever time I hear that song I think of my wife. The chorus says:
"When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile,
The whole world stops and stares for awhile
Cause girl you're amazing
Just the way you are"

It is true that my wife is amazing just the way she is and I am incredible lucky to have someone who accepts me just the way I am... because I know how screwed up I am and definitely not the easiest person to live with. I get to see the way she serves and loves others every day. Don't know if the world stops and stares at her for awhile, but they should. That is how we are suppose to live life. She is amazing and there's not a thing that I would change. Wonder if that is how God sees each of us? Amazing in the way he created us.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thank you! I think you are pretty amazing yourself. Love you!