Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Comparison factor

What is the difference between comparing myself to someone else and being challenged by their example? I often think - I want to be like that or be able to do that, but I am not like that. Often times comparison can make me bitter, but someones example makes me better. I'm not sure I always distinguish the difference between the two very well though. When I try to measure up to someone else, I see the gap between us. I compare what they have to what I don't have. I become bitter because my focus is on what I don't have. But I am inspired and challenged by incredible examples. I think the difference is my focus. Comparison focuses on the differences between us, while when I am challenged the focus is on where I want to end up.

I am extremely fortunate to be surrounded by some people who set the bar high in their lives. Their examples constantly challenge me. They challenge me to be a better husband, a better dad, to be a better leader, and most importantly to pursue a life that reflects Jesus more. Do you find yourself comparing yourself to others? My guess is that probably means you either think more highly of yourself than you should or not highly enough of the way God created you. This verse stood out to me this morning as I was reading through Galatians.

"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best that you can with your own life." (Galatians 6:4-5, The Message)

Are you doing your creative best with your life? Your creativity isn't dependent on anyone else's. Be challenged by the examples around you and celebrate them, then go do your creative best to live it out.

No comments: