Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Audacious

Is simply surviving enough? I was talking with a friend last night and telling him how this last year has been the hardest one I can remember. It seems like nothing has been simple. Friendships that I thought were for the long haul have taken a detour. Finances that I thought were improving, have been stretched beyond what I could imagine. Things I've never questioned have been challenged. I've watched as marriages I thought were stable go through hard times and wonder if that could happen to me. I've been happy to just make it through the day without having wrecked my life or my family's at some points. It has been one of those years so far, but I don't think we were created to just survive. We have a purpose that we are to carry out and it isn't about survival. It is to love. Love God and love others. Survival focuses on me. Love focuses on others. So I don't think simply surviving is enough. No matter how slowly I limp through the process or how long this year seems to last, I have the choice to love through it all. Loving is more than simply making it through another day. It is showing grace when it seems like there should be punishment. It is giving even when it is unappreciated. It is listening when you would rather be doing something else. It is simply more than showing up for another day, it is the choice to keep fulfilling my purpose even when it is hard. Loving others especially when I don't feel like it.

"If the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God." (Steven Furtick from "Sun Stand Still") I want this type of audacious faith. The type that says "if you're not daring to believe God for the impossible, you're sleeping through some of the best parts of your Christian life." I want the word audacious to describe how I live my life. (BTW, it is also one of my favorite words. Cool sound and more importantly an incredible way to live.) I don't want to simply survive, I want to live a life of audacious faith. I want words like grace, humility, and love to describe my life. I want God to use my life for way more than I am capable of. Simply making through another day doesn't seem to be enough any more. What about for you? Are you daring to believe God for the impossible? Can He do what you can't? Does the way you live reflect that?

No comments: